I am touched

This is story of a young woman who has volunteered to be a model for my ARTPRIZE painting. I am so touched. Its very inspiring!! its a must read!!

By:Artist Singh
title: Kristen coppinger
medium: Acrylics on paper 


Picture by Artist Singh

The Story of Kristen and Risk
-A Shadow of the Divine Artist-

Michelangelo is known for the statement, “The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” It is these words that flash across the screen of my mind as I observe Kristen riding Risk. It’s not that they are flawless subjects; it’s in seeing them together I am reminded of how the Divine Artist can create a beautiful, powerful, picture out of our messy, imperfect world.

Kristen was born into a messy world. I was a scared young woman when I found out I was pregnant with her. I was not living the picture perfect life that society believes we should bring a new life into. I was single and my future with her was uncertain. There were some who said to abort her, and some who told me to give her up for adoption. There was also the voice within that rose up louder than the rest. It was the Divine Artist saying, accept this gift from me and I will paint you a beautiful picture. I had no idea what this picture would look like; but I trusted it would be good.

As Kristen has grown, she has brought her father and I much joy. Her father and I did marry when Kristen was one and half years old. She is a fearless explorer of life. She loves animals; and especially horses.

Risk has been Kristen’s first love since she was 14 years old. Risk was 8 years old when he and Kristen met. Risk’s first human companion, Candi, loved him like a mother loves her baby. Candi and her husband did not have children of their own; and so Risk was very special to her. However, there came a point in her life when she was no longer able to ride Risk without pain. She is a cancer survivor and after treatments for the cancer; she was not able to spend the time with Risk like she did before the cancer. She came to realize it was time to let him go. Thinking of her horse, Candi began to pray for someone who would love Risk as much as she does.

Then through a mutual friend, Kristen and Candi met and Kristen rode Risk for the first time. Candi saw a connection between Kristen and Risk that she had not seen with anyone else. Candi wondered if Kristen was the person for Risk. Is Kristen the answer to her prayers? Would Kristen love and care for her horse the way she does?

Kristen had not planned on buying a grey Arab, which is Risk’s breed; but love knows no boundaries. After Kristen rode Risk, she told her Dad and I, “I have to have him and don’t know why. Risk was not the kind of horse she had dreamed about; but then again, life does not always go as planned even when we have dreams. 

After a period of 6 months, Risk did end up becoming a part of our family.

We later found out that Risk was not a planned pregnancy; just like Kristen.. I have always let Kristen know that she was never a mistake. I am just not a good planner; but, God, with His grand design, always knows what He is doing. As the story goes, Risk was born 11 months after a hired hand put a retired mare and stallion in the same pasture by accident.
Beyond the kicks and commands, there is a beautiful picture that emerges from the dust, sweat and muck of the ride. It is the soul of a young woman who loves her horse no matter how he performs. Her soul is a soul that has been strengthened from love; and a soul that has been strengthened by love is a beautiful picture. It is a soul that emulates beauty, power, and grace even in the midst of our dusty, dirty, messy world.

Unplanned, unpredictable, messy, beautiful, wonderful, awe-inspiring, this is the story of Kristen and Risk.